Краен рок за пријавување: 15/11/2018
Job Title: LEGAL TRANSLATOR ASSISTANT
Organization Name: OSCE Mission to Skopje
Closing date of application:
No. of Posts: 1
The Extra Budgetary project “Monitoring the Activities and the Legal Cases under the Competence of the Prosecution Prosecuting Cases Surrounding and Arising from the Content of the Unauthorized Interception of Communications” monitors the activities and legal cases surrounding and arising from the unauthorized interception of communications under the competence of the Special Prosecution Office (SPO).
Due to a significant increase in the number of SPO trials, the Unit seeks to engage one Legal Translator Assistant on a short-term basis.
Required competencies (defaulted by the system)
Core values (defaulted by the system)
• Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
• Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
• Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
• Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
Core competencies (defaulted by the system)
• Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
• Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
• Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
• Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
• Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
• Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities) (defaulted by the system)
• Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
• Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
• Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, the incumbent shall:
1. Conduct trial monitoring;
2. Translate documents and correspondence from English to Macedonian and or Albanian and vice versa. Texts are primarily of a legal nature including court judgments, indictments, appeals, and similar, as well as human rights – related reports and texts;
3. Review and conduct written translation of correspondence to and from government officials, complaints received by citizens, and OSCE generated reports and texts for use by government and judicial officials and other local interlocutors;
4. Conduct consecutive interpretation in trials, meetings, interviews, telephone calls, and conferences with local interlocutors including judicial and government officials. This includes contacts that the Rule of Law (RoL) international staff has with governmental representatives, judicial officials, public prosecutor’s offices, and individual citizens;
5. Maintain and update files and other relevant documents/materials (folders, databases etc.);
6. Assist in research of information/documents required by the supervisor;
7. Assist international mission members in organizing events and meetings with different national/international organizations as well as with judicial authorities;
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
The candidates should have the following minimum qualifications:
• Citizenship of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
• Completed secondary education supplemented with formal language studies including translation techniques
• Minimum 4 years’ experience in translation and interpretation the field of human rights and legal issues
• Understanding of the local courts and trial proceedings
• Established experience in trial monitoring, conducting legal analysis, translating legal and judicial documents, and in interpretation during meetings
• Computer literate with practical experience with Microsoft applications
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and in local languages;
• Ability to work with people of different nationalities, ethnicities, religions and cultural backgrounds
• Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities
How to Apply
All candidates must apply online, using the OSCE online application link, found under https://jobs.osce.org
Applications received by e-mail, submitted after the deadline or in other languages than the English language will not be considered.
The recruitment procedure may take up to two months and we will be in further contact with you only if you are short-listed. The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, or offer the position with modified terms of reference or a different duration.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages the nomination of qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious, ethnic and social backgrounds.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.